The Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation (PECF) was chartered by Congress over 100 years ago to promote the causes of religion, education, and charity. President Benjamin Harrison signed the charter on January 6, 1893, and on September 29, 1907, the first stone of the Cathedral was placed in a beautiful, park-like setting in northwest Washington, D.C... Today, the Foundation and its institutions occupy fifty-nine pastoral acres known as the Close, a magnificent setting enjoyed by students, worshipers, visitors, and residents of surrounding neighborhoods.
The Foundation is made up of four institutions: the Cathedral Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, commonly referred to as the Washington National Cathedral, founded in 1893; the National Cathedral School for Girls, founded in 1900; St. Albans School, founded in 1909; and Beauvoir, the National Cathedral Elementary School, founded in 1933. Sixteen hundred students between pre-kindergarten and twelfth grades attend schools on the Close.
We invite you to learn more about the Cathedral and individual schools by clicking on the Institutions button on the left.